It is reportedly the best sewing machine that Singer ever made. I believe it. Every one of the machines that I serviced stitched beautifully as soon as I stitch tested it. Now I did have an issue with "my" 201. The one that I decided was mine because it was the first motor I had ever re-wired. It also is my logo. It was sewing nicely then started to sew very poorly. All of a sudden. It was dirty.
That was the one with the stuck feed dog lifter roller. Before I discovered the problem with the roller, I pulled the hook and found some dirty lint here:
|Singer 201-2 hook|
here is a better photo...
I sanded it down can you see the difference?
This final 201-2 to be serviced has been sitting around since summer of 2011. It came with a #42 cabinet. I was still pretty naive then. I was also pretty obsessed and reading Craigs List like it was Fifty Shades of Gray. I was so thrilled to have found this one, in a #42 cabinet no less. The asking price was 100 bucks. I pointed out the need for a complete re-wire and offered much less. He accepted. Lucky me.
That same day I bought another, in a Queen Anne cabinet. It wasn't that much further to drive, maybe only another hour. I spent the whole day on the road chasing 201s. I did some self-flagellating on the way to pick up the second machine. I was rewarded, though, because this one looked pretty good. The wires were intact and it ran nicely. Cosmetically it looked good.
I rationalized it on the 130 mile trip home from Granville, NY
"This one has good wires," I told myself. "I can use it as a model so that I can re-wire the others and then I will have three really good machines. I can keep one and sell the other two to pay for gas."
Turns out, the one I thought was a good one, the one I chased all the way to the Vermont border, had a truly foul re-wire job.
Today's had a very icky light switch and lamp connection.http://mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com/2012/07/theres-light.html
I had toyed with the idea of re-wiring the light. I took another look today and decided that I could cheat and crimp on a new connector and add some shrink insulation and call it good.
What I did not understand was how to connect the switch to the light. I knew I had taken photos. I had even written a very descriptive and detailed post about it. I just was too lazy to leave the shop and look for the pictures on the computer. I did figure it out. The ring connector on one of the wires was too small for Mr. Three Pin Terminal. It would only fit on the light switch. Sort of a no brainer when you think about it.
Nice and tidy, eh?
And look, it works !
For a while I had a couple of 201s in process at the same time. For a long while from the looks of it. I think the original motor for this machine went with the Granville, NY machine which I sold. It was cosmetically much prettier. It doesn't really matter, I guess. But it's just a sign that it is time to get rid of some machines. Or not to have more than one machine apart at a time.
I scammed a motor from a parts 15-91 and I contemplated re-wiring the motor leads. I took another look and decided that the wires were intact and safe. I did put new shrink insulation over them, soldered on new connectors and was good to go.
I have yet to stitch test it. Perhaps on Wednesday. I would like to set up all four of the 201-2s that I have for sale, each in a cabinet. What a pretty site that would be.
|Singer 201-2 1941|