I put the first coat of polyurethane on this weekend. I am surprised at how it darkened the wood.
Before and During
During and After
I tried staining the repair on the bottom front. It looks awful.
I think that I will buy some Mahogany colored paint and just paint it. Supposedly this stuff was stainable. Apparently not. As you can see in the photo of the back (above this one) I left the repair "natural" that I did on the back. We aren't building pianos here. My goal is to get this project finished, the machine installed and move on to the next project.
Which is another Singer 301 with very icky gooey gears