This Necchi was given to us last winter. I did some re-wiring on the light (http://mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com/2013/12/necchi-bf.html) and found a motor in the South River stash. For weeks this machine was sitting on the bench. I finally cleaned it all up and got it stitching. Guess what? I love it. (It smells a bit musty but that is dissipating with time).
I watched the thread as it came off the spool today. When the thread unwound from the bottom, where the spool is wider, it would catch as it came off. I could feel it when I pulled the thread off the spool. I fixed that problem. I turned the stupid spool upside down. Now it works fine. I have large cones of thread in neutral colors. I want to use it up. Practice sewing is the perfect use for it.
Not many people want these old straight stitch machines. That's why we have them. I can see that this machine could be treadled. It might be strong enough, perhaps as strong as my 15-90, to sew through multiple layers. I may even try some FMQ. The motor is fast enough.