I finally did get the motor off of the 201-2 I am servicing. It took PB blaster, time, Kroil, time, heat, Liquid wrench, PB blaster, Kroil, time, heat and finally some choice curse words but I got the screw loose.
It was cemented in place with old, dried, grease. I think no one ever serviced this motor. The grease wicks were as hard as rocks and the worm was pretty stuck to the shaft of the motor as well.
The motor leads were safe but in a few years would not be. I decided to re-wire it. I did the first one of these one year ago. Since then I think I have done three others. Maybe four. I have tied an underwriter's knot in at least two, maybe three. This time I soldered the leads in such a way that I just could not tie that knot. I think it will be fine. There really is no stress on the wires from the motor to the terminal block. Next time I will solder closer to the coil and leave enough room to tie the knot. Just cuz.
When I put the hand wheel back on it was STIFF (TWSS). I had cleaned the shaft and sanded it and cleaned it again and applied Tri-Flow. Guess, not enough. Off came that dang motor and I sanded the shaft and cleaned it some more. Much better this time.
The machine sounds lovely. The motor smells like a thunderstorm, though, and I think I will just get new brushes. I cleaned the armature with electronic motor cleaner. The brushes were a bit oily. I soaked them in denatured alcohol and let them dry. Still a bit of ozone smell.
The commutator was a huge mess, too. Really gunked up. There was actually a build up of crud along one edge. Can't really see it in the photo. Take my word for it.
Now to stitch test it and wire the foot controller and the power cord together. It isn't a portable but it is so much easier to just plug the power and controller into the machine versus wiring the foot controller to the machine. I gotta get back out there to play some more. The shop is up to 70 degrees! That's what burning maple all day will do. Toasty.