Monday, December 26, 2011

Another 201

  I have decided to give up on this motor. It just requires TOO MUCH WORK.

  The armature is filthy with something yellow and sticky and I am guessing it is dried oil

I tried some denatured alcohol on a q tip and made it stickier.  I scrubbed some more and got it a bit cleaner.   You cannot really tell in this photo but the copper windings are darker and dirtier on the armature on the left.  Believe me, its true.

I have to give up.  I have shelves to paint and put up, a sewing loft to clean, a window treatment to make, dogs to walk, sewing machines to clean and repair, cabinets to refinish,  ipad covers to sew, sewing machines to use, sewing machines to sell, sewing machines to clean and oil and service.........

HOWEVER......

I do hope to use this motor to practice on.  I tried de-soldering today.  I removed a whole lot of excess solder and some electrical tape glue.  It was good practice to work inside the motor and pay attention to how the soldering iron is positioned.  You can see the broken original lead wire and how frayed the insulation is at the connection to the field core..  However, now you can actually see wire, instead of only solder.  This could have been a decent job if he/she had not gone crazy with the solder, had used shrink wrap and had been gentler with the connections. 

I also discovered that the electrical connection one of the brush tubes is fragmented. I had a bad feeling so I got out the magnifying glass and confirmed my fear.  I might try to re-solder that.  OH that would be tricky, now wouldn’t it?  If I knew how to use the Photo shop program i just bought I would circle the connection to which I refer; it is on the right side of the photo...pretty scarey, eh?

I practiced soldering after I  tried the de-soldering thing.

The mechanical connection is key:
And not too much solder, please.  I was a bit skimpy here:
Practice:


Practice:  I really like this one...
 Just the right amount of solder.

I had been having a lot of trouble getting the wire hot enough.  I finally got the honing stick out and cleaned the soldering iron and bingo, big difference.  I do like the size of my 25 watt Weller, but the Radio Shack iron gets the wire hotter, faster, now that it is clean......

So, what's next?  More practice in this old motor and then I will try to do a really fine job with the motor that has a decent armature, solid brush tube connections and relatively long original motor lead wires. 





One more thing..... I learned how to tie an underwriter knot today.  It is easier than you would think.

Check out Rain's blog for it.  You know  the Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog.  http://vssmb.blogspot.com/



1 comment:

  1. I applaud you for your efforts. We gave up and bought a new(used) motor off ebay for the little Kenmore 28 that we just acquired. If I have something, I want it to work, whether I use it or not. Kind of crazy, isn't it? That's me!

    Have a great week!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete