Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I DID IT !!!!!

Well folks, thanks to Rain at The Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog  http://vssmb.blogspot.com I rewired this 201 potted motor.  I would not have been able to do it without his VERY VERY EXCELLENT step by step instructions on his blog.  I was so excited that I did not photograph the process of re-assembling the motor.  I just put the sucker back together.  I did, however, take  photos of the soldering:

Before trimming the wires

Mechanical connection (aka braid) and alligator clip as heat sink

Soldered
Mechanical connection and heat sink white lead

Soldered
 I did put heat shrink on these connections and I found that the hair dryer frightened me.  I was afraid that I might get the whole motor too warm.  So I tried the butane lighter trick.  That was nerve wracking as well but I managed to get the stuff shrunk down and tight.

I also tied my underwriter knot and put the whole thing back together.  See how tidy it looks inside?

I am so proud of this project.  Here is the underwriter knot all highlighted:



Very Nice.  Next, I will put some shrink wrap on these leads to make them one and solder some connecting rings.  I can do that, easy peasy.  I would have done that tonight.......if I hadn't felt guilty about never cooking a meal for the best husband in the world.  So I made some parsnips and tofu for dinner......yum......Hey, the guy likes it, what can I say????

Now I am ready to clean out this 201 and get it stitching.....Wooooooo hoooooo.



4 comments:

  1. Awesome, congratulations! Feels good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Elizabeth!! Between Rain's instructions and your success I'm going into my project VERY confident!

    ReplyDelete