Anyway, this is the story of the light on this very icky Singer 201-2. I have been scamming parts off of this machine for the 201 Centennial. I have all the parts. The tension spring (not check spring but the bee hive tension spring) the bobbin case position bracket. The parts are probably fine but I wanted the best ones for the Centennial since it is going to market.
But I would like to get this one running. Then all of the 201s that I have will be running. If this one can't get up and stitching it will become a parts machine.
Since the 201 is Singer's best, supposedly, I think it is worth the effort to try. And you all know how I love an icky challenge. Just look at the melted latex on the pillar just above the light wire port. YYYYEEWWW
I took this all apart.
I did remove the wires from the terminal before I did all that though.
I found out that the wire that goes to the three pin terminal is soldered on to the switch. I thought that it would be best to try to buy a new switch. I did . It doesn't fit.... I don't know if there are others that might be narrower. But I may practice de-soldering and see if I can't retrieve this one.
The wires snake through the machine. I already looked. I can get them out. But there is some sheathing around the wires that must be replaced.
But before I do any of that I have to be sure that I know how to de-solder. At the other end of these wires is the light. The connections to the light are also soldered.
And the motor that I thought (naively) that I could simply install, also, needs to be re-wired. Or maybe I could just re-wire the end.....Nah. gotta do it right.
More work. For a machine that may not stitch. Oh I think that is overly dramatic. This machine will stitch and I will learn how to re-wire a 201-2 light. Yippee.. I would rather go to the dentist.