Friday, September 28, 2012

Singer 328K revisited

 This machine came with one decorative cam.  It does not have the Zig Zag cam.  I looked for one but did not find one.  Darn.  I found a deco cam that makes that "box stitch"  If you lengthen the stitch it will zz but in an odd sort of alternating way.  It could work for a zz substitute.  I don't know how hard it is to come by these zz cams.
 It sewed through this leather without a complaint.  BUT I would not want to do it day in and day out.  I don't think the motor would last.  It is one of those naked internal motors and I don't know how easy THEY are to come by, either.   I tired to access the brushes on it but couldn't .  From what I saw of the commutator, it looked clean. 

I honestly like the stitch these 328s make.  True it sounds like a tractor and it is a cheapo machine.  None the less, it makes a lovely stitch and will last a long time.  Longer than the modern plastic machines made now.

I am posting this on the website.  It's for sale. I have to move some machines out.

6 comments:

  1. I've had a 328k for over 20 years and you are right in what you say about it. Despite that I've sewn miles and miles on my 328k and it's still my go-to machine for many things. I got it with my tax return money in the 80's, when I was young and didn't know any better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but do you really think a plastic machine purchased today at Wal Mart will sew for miles and miles and still be able to sew for more miles and miles in 2042?

      Delete
    2. No, not at all. I actually had a plastic wonder foisted on me (long story) - I think it was made in the 90's. Clearly a disposable machine. I sew on it with very light weight fabric. . . sometimes. I didn't really know that the 328k was a bit weak until I (recently) started sewing on a 15-91. Love that machine! But the 328k is still my go-to machine. We have a very comfortable relationship.

      Delete
  2. Hello - I would like your permission to link this post to my blog post this evening. I picked up one of these machines at an Estate sale over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding the 'noise' that a 328k makes--and I'm speaking of a load knocking coming from the bobbin area--I have successfully eliminated that by putting a small piece of duct tape on the left side of the notch of the bobbin case (left sideas you look at it the way it is installed). Since the noise is made as the case wiggles back and forth against the raised part one is alerted to fit the notch into . . . it made sense to me to simply 'pad' one or both sides of the notch. One side seemed to do the trick. Make sure that the tape that ends up on the outside of the case doesn't obstruct the groove, as this will prevent free movement of the hook (the wheel won't even turn so you'll know you have to adjust the tape). Doug

      Delete