Friday, September 21, 2012

Singer 328 bobbin case

A reader asked for a photo of the bobbin case position on a 328.  Fortunately I still have one of these machines and was able to photograph the bobbin case for her.
I, therefore, became distracted by this machine and neglected my other duties of the day.  Sort of.  I did get the top coat of paint on the bases and the treadle top.  But I did not vacuum the house or weed the garden.

It occurred to me that a little photo tutorial on how to remove the bobbin case of these types of machines might be helpful.  The 401, 403 and 404 all work the same way, basically.  So does the 337 and I imagine the 338.  I don't have a lot of experience but I think most of the newer top loading class 66 machines might work this way.  Not the 201.  That bobbin case is totally different and if you want to learn more about it   go to The Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Blog  http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-remove-201-bobbin-case.html

First remove the needle plate.  It merely lifts off.

 Raise the feed dogs to the highest position and lift the position bracket up and to the right.
Shift the bobbin case to the right as well and it should lift out.  I had to jiggle this one.

When replacing the bobbin case be sure it is sitting just so and don't forget to move the position bracket back into place.

If the bobbin case is loose in the hook, it is possible to adjust the position bracket so that the bobbin case sits more snugly.   I loosened both screws a quarter of a turn and gently moved the bracket toward the bobbin case until it felt snug.  Then I tightened the screws. 


This bobbin case has a bit of a rasp to it somewhere in its cycle.  I don't think it is because I tightened the bobbin case.  It was pretty raspy before I did that.   The machine turns smoothly when the case is out.  But when it is in place, it whispers. If there isn't any oil on the thing it grinds.   The whole machine does need servicing and I suppose that will be on the agenda for tomorrow.  The forecast is for rain, so I won't have to weed the perennial bed.  Oh darn.


14 comments:

  1. Thanks! I learned something new! I don't think I have ever had the bobbin case out of any of the models that you have mentioned! Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for posting this and the big pics. I just got a pretty robin's egg blue 338 today. Too bad it sounds like a flippin jackhammer. Its something with the bobbin assembly. Do you have any tip on quieting this thing down?? Errrrrrr so disappointing :0( Amie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dear. I wish I knew. I had a 338 once. IIRC it was a bit noisy, too. I can only suggest the usual, cleaning and oiling and studying the action to locate the noise. Best wishes

      Delete
  3. thank you SO MUCH for your post. We just picked up a 328K and my husband is taking it apart as it is all rusty. we just ordered a service manual for it and some attachments. we still need to find a bulb for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bulbs are easy. I have them and so does Sew Classic. Resources page will direct you to Sew Classic. Contact me page will direct you to me.

      Delete
  4. I'm a proud new owner of a 328K. I found this short how to of yours wonderful! I was about to take those screws out since I couldn't seem to get it to budge, even with the manual. Your photos did the trick! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one, works great. Thanks for the pix, was double checking my bobbin

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you I have this machine works great just was checking my bobbin position, I got a thread under it and it gets jammed so I had to tear it apart

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a service manual that I could download for the 328k or 327k? I have seen them for sale but free is always better! My email is daddysmalllegs@gmail.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just picked up a 328K for my daughter. Looking at your photos I see that we're missing the screw that's closer (bottom arrow) in your photo. It seems that its only function is for the bobbin retainer clip to rest up upon when you're removing the bobbin assembly, but even so it would still be useful to have. If anyone has a service manual and can give me a spec on a replacement screw I'd greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Singer screws are singer screws and are hard to replace without a donor machine. Some OSMG may have one. I may have one, as I have a gazillion screws. If you were close by you could come and forage.

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for this tutorial! I have a new-to-me 328K and it was making rattling noises. I traced it to the bobbin case and thought, "Is it supposed to move around like that?" A quick Google search led me to this page and now it's super quiet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures saved me! I was having an irregular stitch problem and fought with tensions for a day. After looking at your pictures I was able to see that I did not have the washer that holds the retainer in place and therefore could not adjust and hold the position of the bobbin case . Found the washer in the bottom of the machine and voila, perfect stitches! Thanks again for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you know where I can purchase a new position bracket?? Mine broke ....I love this machine and want to continue to use it.

    ReplyDelete