Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Drive Spring

I spent a goodly amount of time on Sunday freeing up those tiny little screws that hold the shuttle drive spring in place on a Kenmore endloader.  I had hoped that it would fit the 158.1350 so that I could replace the broken one.

First I dropped some Tri flow on those screws and applied heat via the hair dryer.  Then I applied PB blaster and heat.  Then I got out the Kroil and applied heat.  It really stunk in my shop with all the petro chemicals getting warmed up.  I think it might have finally been time and the Kroil that loosened the screws.  I got them out, managed to hang onto them and removed the spring.  Too big.  Doggone it!  (If you really believe that that is all I said......ask my friend Betsy, or better yet, my mother, about my potty mouth.  Actually almost anyone could tell you about my potty mouth.  Shoot my 12 year old son was known to say "Language , Mother."  He still does, now 21 years later.)

So I have concluded that these drive springs are not interchangeable.    I found one at this website http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland.com/store/index.html Just hope that it fits.

I won't order it yet.  Betsy claims to have some parts machines.  We will see.  Dang (there I go again, I am as bad as Ethan Allen!) it will be a PITA to remove. 

I was pretty proud of myself after I figured out, pretty quickly, what was wrong with the stitch selector on this machine.   Now I have almost as much time in it as I did in that other Kenmore 10 stitch. 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, now I think I see what was wrong. How the heck does the tip of the shuttle drive spring get broken off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. guess what? found the part, took of my 14100 parts, looks like it matches perfectly. we'll try it out sunday let you guys know if it fixed the problem.
    tobsmf2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine was broken too I just ordered the part from the same site I also have a 158 series kenmore (front loader)... still wondering how in the world it broke in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never managed to get it installed. I think that likely the spring broke when the machine was asked to do some work that it wasn't designed to do. Industrial Strength type activity.

      Delete