A reader asked me how I made the base for my Kenmore Sewing machines without having to notch out for the hinge screws. I promised an explanation.
The first step is to determine how long to make the end pieces. It was easier on the Kenmores because there is enough room under each end to allow the pieces to fit completely under the bed. Likewise there is plenty of room under the front edge on the Kenmore so that the machine was supported on three of four sides. Thus the back piece just butted up against the back.
Not so on this darling Brother Zig Zag. There was enough room under the bed on the front end but the butt end only allowed about 1/4 inch of overlap.
I cut two of those and tucked them under the machine bed on either end. I then took two longer pieces and placed one in the front, tucking it under the bed as far as it would go. I merely lined the back one up along the back edge of the bed. I lined each one up flush with the butt end.
When cutting your material, it is wise to leave just a smidgen of the pencil line showing. That way you know that you haven't cut too much off.
I dry fitted the boards and laid them out flat on the work bench
I was then able to remove the clamps. The screws will hold everything in place while the glue dries.
The base did not support the machine so well because there wasn't enough surface area on the two ends and the front. I made a brace for the back to support it between the hinge screw holes.
I cut a small scrap of wood that was just the right depth
Here it is, with the primer coat on it.
When comparing this base to the Kenmore bases, I noticed how much smaller it was. Sort of just the right size for a Singer...
Now, back to to the treadle base project.....