Monday, September 5, 2011

Mary's 99K

Our friends, Mary and Ed, gave me a 306K last winter.  Mary sews on a Bernina and a Featherweight.  She also has an Elna, I think.  Saturday she found a Singer 99k from the fifties at a garage sale.  It was 10 bucks.  Steven was at their house and saw it.  He told me and I called her.  Come on over, I said, and we will clean her up together.  We had a blast.
Mary's 99K

Oil Wick INTACT.
I have never seen an intact oil wick on any bobbin case.  I have seen pieces of the wick, but I never knew it was this big. I just had to take a photo.

We spent a few hours on Sunday and today cleaning, oiling, and timing the hook.  I don't think you can really get a hook clean if you don't take it out.  While we were at it we checked the feed dog lifter rollers (not in bad shape) and got her all back together by noon today.  I was rather pleased with myself for remembering how to do all that and help her.   I even soldered the break in the foot pedal wiring.     It make pretty nice stitches, yes, it does.

3 comments:

  1. Did some 99Ks not have an oil wick? Ours seems to have no place where a wick would fit.

    Jim Cooper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know However, I believe that it may be hard to find where one would fit if one didn't know where to look.

      Delete
    2. There is a tiny coil spring on the bobbin case. How does the felt wick fit into this?

      Jim Cooper

      Delete