Saturday, November 26, 2011

Train Whistle


Once I finished my chores today I finally got into the shop.  I did try to tidy it up this morning, but the truth is I have too much stuff.  I think it has been more than two weeks since I have bought a sewing machine.  I even sold one,  so have I turned a corner??????

 I bought this mocha 301  just before I went to Ithaca.  It came with a cabinet. I sure wish I could remember what the cabinet looks like. I have so many...

 I took this along with me to class.  It had a terrible noise.  It sounded like a train whistle when the motor revved up.  Ray heard it, turned his head to find out where the noise was coming from.  I felt pretty sheepish.  He told me it was a gear noise and I worked to try to resolve it.  Finally I had to give up.  I just had to work on other machines.......

Today I decided to start at the top of the heap and this machine was on top ...... I figured it would be a quick clean up and I could get it put away. I started with the motor.  I thought that maybe I could clean the commutator without having to take the motor apart.  I thought that I could reach into the brush opening and clean the commutator.  No deal.

I cleaned that commutator and got it really shiny and here you can see how the brush sits on the commutator when the motor is reassembled.

Here you can see how it is not supposed to sit.  See the space between the brush and the commutator?
I did that with the black 301.  You can see how it would not work so well, not a good connection at all.  Next time I will just mark the brush before I take it out....

 After the motor work,  I rewired the foot pedal. Compared to the motor cleaning, this was a straight forward task. It took an hour.  I soldered the little loops. I love to solder.  I am sure it is not good for me.  How healthy can inhaling lead vapor be?  I mean, jeez, and I am opposed to hydrofracking??? Go figure...

Once I got the foot pedal rewired I plugged it in and , oh yeah, I remembered that noise....  So then I started the search.

Now when Ray taught us he quoted Bill Holman.  Something about a train.  I don't remember exactly.  All I could think of today was that that train was in my shop and it was blowing its whistle loud and clear.  I knew that I could NEVER sew with this machine.  It just was too ANNOYING....

Since I had a clue from the expert, I started looking at the gears.  I could not figure out how to take out any slack in those gears.

 I traced back toward the hook from the gears and looked.  Yup there were two set screws there and I thought well, maybe... But then I decided that maybe those were for the timing and decided not to mess with them.  Then changed my mind...... No deal..... NO change in the whooooo hoooo.  I then traced back toward the hook and thought, what the heck, take the hook off.   So off came the hook.  No difference.  There was a small bushing on the hook shaft.  Loosened that set screw and LOST IT.  Why I didn't stop then, I don't know.....  I had to get into the house to cook Thursday's turkey (ok so I know it is Saturday, but it is still Thanksgiving Weekend, right?)  I got that bushing off but still no change in the noise.  Now I was screwed.  I had lost the set screw and I hadn't figured out anything and dinner was going to be late late late........

Somehow I just did not panic about that lost set screw.  I made a decision.  I would look one more time for the screw and then go in to start cooking.......

Found it.  Whew.  I am blessed.  I promise to sweep now under the bench so that looking for lost set screws will be easier.Why I don't vow to never lose another set screw I don't know......

I put that sucker back where it belongs and vowed to just GO IN THE HOUSE......  But I couldn't you know.  Then I had a brilliant idea.  Find out if it is really machine noise or is it motor noise?  Off came the hand wheel.  One more whooooo hoooo and that was it.  All over.  Some grease got where it was supposed to be and now I have a very sweet, quiet, lovely 301.

Well, except that it may not STITCH since I had the screw drivers out and turned this screw and that screw and looked and looked for gear noise...... It was motor noise.  I love Ray White.  He is a smart man and he taught me a lot.  He also taught me,  don't trust the expert......



2 comments: