Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Singer 201-3 Transformation some more

I cleaned up the needle bar and the presser bar without removing those specific parts.  I tried to remove the presser bar spring but could not raise it up through the top hole.  I did my best to clean the presser bar with denatured alcohol and a rag.  I scrubbed around in there as best I could.  I actually do not have an after photo.  This one is rather in between
The screw that adjusts the amount of pressure on the presser bar houses an oil wick.  It may look like lint or dust.  I have been able to get these out of other machines,  I left this one in there.  It did not want to come out.  I could get it to move.  It sounded like sandpaper inside the screw.  I drenched it with SM oil.  I understand that Tri Flow has some teflon in it and experts advise against using TriFlow in this application.  OK with me. 
I had to take the tension apart and clean it as well.  The numbered dial on this machine is pretty beat up.  Perhaps I will find a tension assembly somewhere that will fit.

In order to release the tension assembly, you have to find the set screw.  Looking at the machine straight on, the set screw is just behind the tension assembly thread guide in the side of the machine head.

Loosen that.  Don't bugger it up.  I don't know how easy they are to replace.  If it is tight, drop some Tri Flow on it and let it sit.  Then, try later.

The tension assembly should pull out.  It may take some twisting if the machine is dirty and old.
Disassemble the assembly. Clean all the parts in denatured alcohol.  Then reassemble. Don't forget to take the thread guide off of the machine.  You want that clean and shiny too. 

To release the knurled knob, push in on the numbered dial until the little pin in the knob is released.  Then you can turn the knob free and all the way off of the tension stud. (For more detail of this process go here :   http://mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com/2012/01/301-tension-assembly.html   Remove each part.

The tension discs on this assembly were scarred.  I buffed the rough spots out with my honing stick.  They aren't cosmetically perfect but they are nice and smooth. 
Add caption
  I did not take pictures each step of the way, this time.  I have done these assemblies a number of times.  I thought I knew how they went back together.  But I put it together wrong.

Much better:
Note the position of the stop washer.  You want the indentation in the stop washer to fit in the space above the spring.

Put the numbered dial back on and push in as you screw the knob back on.  When you have the knob where you want it, let the numbered dial pop back out.  It was hard on this tension, the numbered dial is rather chewed up.

In this photo, the pieces are all assembled in the correct order.  The numbered dial has not been compressed against the screw.  I couldn't do that AND take the photo.
 Now you can place the re-assembled tension back in the machine.  I do clean out the opening where the tension belongs.  Makes for easier removal later.  Tighten the set screw and you are good to go.

Think how nice this machine will look with a nicer looking tension assembly.  However, this machine is pretty beat up over all so, as long as it works, and it does, I may consider it finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment