Sunday, March 17, 2013

Nomenclature

I thought we had a Rockateer.  The Singer 500 looks rather like a rocket and earned the name Rockateer, because of that.  We actually have a 503 which looks very similar but it isn't the same.  It is a zig zag machine that take top hat cams.  It's hand wheel has a fiber gear but the cushion spring is different.

I misidentified (or misremembered, don't know which.  Love this 7th decade) the machine we have as a Rockateer in the previous post.  Not so.

Since it is a parts machine, I don't have a photo of it whole.  Here is one I found from the internet
 

Here is a photo of the 500

So they look very similar and I called the 503 the Rockateer.  I guess the 500 is the true Rockateer.

When discussing sewing machine repair, or any topic for that matter, nomenclature means a lot.  I make an effort to identify parts by name.  Not thingie or gizmo or whatitsname.  So I wanted to clarify my mistake.  This blog is meant to help folks figure out this wonderful world of vintage  sewing machine repair and use.  So I want it to be right.
 


3 comments:

  1. I call both of the 500 series machines, Rocketeers. I think you are still correct! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog. Enjoying the fabulous pictures and information you provide on these vintage beauties. Wanted to Thank you for sharing your knowledge, it is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had always been led to believe that Rocketeer was an affectionate nick name used by collectors rather than an official Singer model designation. I had assumed it was used to refer to any of 500 series. I love the blog by the way.

    G

    ReplyDelete