After I cleaned up the dog yard (you know what shows up after snow melts, and there was a whole lot of it) I set to work on the Singer 201-3 Centennial that I found when I was in NC in February.
You all know that I love 201s. Though I am rather sick of them. The bobbin case is a PITA to remove because the retaining ring is tricky to get out and back in. For more information on that process go here http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-remove-201-bobbin-case.html. The potted motor on the 201-2s (common around here) almost always needs re-wiring. A rewarding, though tedious task, IMHO.
This one is a 201-3; external motor. No need for a motor when treadling. I ditched it. But I still had to service the thing.
The belt is way too tight on this machine. I ordered the coil spring belt tonight from McMaster Carr. Once it comes I can set up one treadle stand for many machines. I tried this machine in each of the four treadle stands that I have. Each belt was too tight. Even this one, that usually houses the 237.
Even thought the belts were all too tight, I did manage to stitch with this machine on the treadle out in the shop. It makes a lovely stitch. I was hoping to make something tonight but the belt is just too tight. I could go out to the cold, lonely shop and treadle on the stand out there. Instead I will sip wine, cuddle with poodles and tell you all about my day.
I took the hand wheel and the face plate off. Then I took the slide plate off to expose the bobbin and race.
I took the bobbin out to discover a piece of thread caught up in the bobbin case and around the hook
I was sure that I would have to take the hook out to get at this, but turns out, my dental pick lifted it right out. I admit, I was disappointed. I was up for the challenge.
I took the needle plate off and removed the feed dogs next.
Then I removed the retaining clip and the bobbin case.
While time was doing its thing with the hook screw, I next serviced the gears. The shuttle gears are harder to get to. I cleaned them all up with a toothbrush and Kerosene the applied the Triflow grease by reaching up and around with the curved syringe. It isn't exactly precise, but it worked. That thread was just sitting there. I still wonder how it got in there behind the gear cups (which are not shown in this photo)
The back gears are easier to access. I gave them the same cleaning treatment. After brushing with Kerosene, I applied some vaseline as well which I then wiped off. Finally I applied a thin strip of Tri Flow grease and turned the handwheel to distribute it.
Next post, I promise.