READ THE DIRECTIONS.
I need more room in my sewing loft. Last year I bought a vintage trundle bed for 2 bucks at an auction. I thought it would be good for the loft, in case we had need for over flow sleeping space when company came.
"It sounds like a lot of work to me."
She saved me from myself. The trundle sat at the end of the drive way all day today with a FREE sign advertising its availability. The sewing machine stand keeping it company found a new home. But not the trundle. Rain is predicted for tomorrow, so I hauled it back to the barn. I guess it goes to scrap metal. I did advertise it on Free Cycle. No takers. Wonder why? (Please, don't take me seriously. I should have kept my two bucks).
With all that room, I was able to get some sort of order to the sewing loft before Betsy came over to play with the Juki. There is still so much to do. But it is a better work space now. I really needed the room. The dogs can just sleep on the floor. I have more organizing to do. The fabric is still in plastic bags or bins awaiting restoration to its home in the Genuine Authentic Fake Cherry Veneer Barrister Bookcase (REMEMBER THE PFAFF http://mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com/2012/08/remember-pfaff.html) I need to cull and sort more stuff (the aforementioned sewing machine stand fell victim to my ruthlessness) but it is a much nicer work space now. Less cramped. And the Juki has its own space.
Mom had given me tons of serger thread. I set up the cones according to the color codes on the threading diagram. Blue for the upper looper, red for the lower looper, green for the right needle and yellow (I only had white) for the left needle.
I tied the new thread onto the ones left in the machine by the tech and turned the handwheel so that they would thread through the machine.
It worked, sort of . The loopers seemed to like that threading system. The needles, not so much. Finally we were able to try it out.
All wrong. We tried messing with the tension; first by increasing it, then by decreasing it. By now it was time for Betsy to leave. We really hadn't played at all.
I tried some more and then gave up. I had lunch, mowed the dog path and went back to it.
The left needle thread kept breaking. I finally decided to use the best thread that I had. I found some Gutterman and some Mettler. Then I got out the instruction manual
Step by step I read the instructions on how to thread the machine. I carefully followed the directions. First the upper looper, then the lower looper. Then the right needle and finally the left needle. The diagrams are hard to follow and I didn't have a magnifying glass. Finally I finished threading the silly thing. It took an hour.
But in the end it was worth it.
This machine is so much like the Bernina. I may take the Bernina out of its coffin and examine it next to this one. Who knows, maybe I can get some parts and try to fix it. Who knows. I won't have a manual for that though, I bet.