I just could not stand it. The dogs were hungry, I was hungry and cold but I had to clean up this machine a little bit. And WHAT is that stuff that looks like peanut butter? I tried degreaser, denatured alcohol and finally got out the big guns...kerosene. Even though I had the little space heater on, it was cold in the shop. I put the face plate 'door" on a rag on top of the heater and that helped a whole lot. I am sure warming the sucker up will help. For now, though, I managed with a toothbrush and some kero. I may have to bring this machine into the house to get it warm enough. BUT right now it reeks of kerosene.
The shop does not freeze so I am sure the machine will be fine there. It awaits me....I hope to get back to it on the weekend.
Before. The black stuff at the right end of the spring is congealed oil, I think. It is pretty thick.
The case is a stinky mess and I have already ripped out some of the moldy interior fabric. It needs to bake in the oven to get rid of the mold. But not in my oven....... Maybe I can get a good hot fire going and put it right next to the stove out in the shop......NOt too close.