Sunday, November 10, 2013

AFTER AND BEFORE

The problem with Before and After photos; before you know it after has become before so that it comes time to create after, again.

Such is the way with my shop.  It is a huge mess.  I tried the mantra "Less is More."  I suppose one day I will believe it.  Less stuff means more space.  The key to organization is less stuff.  I spent some time today trying to organize.  I did manage to get the table next to the work bench cleared somewhat.
 
I tired of this chore and set to repairing a coffin top that has been kicking around the shop in pieces.   November in Westford means cool weather and today was rainy and raw.  November. 

I lit a fire in the stove and when the temperature rose to 60 got to it.  I love yellow carpenter's wood glue.  It holds well and sets up quickly but is forgiving for a bit of time.  I needed a weight to hold the top in place and a Singer 27 was just the ticket. You can see the glue seeping out of the joint.  I wiped it off with a damp rag. 
I was able to glue the broken piece back on as well but the fit was lousy.  I will have to rasp the edge and sand it smooth so that nothing gets caught on it.  But at least the top is back together.  Considering it was in about six different pieces, I am not unhappy.  I started this project before the TOGA, back in September. I am the president of the local Procrastinator's club.  We haven't had our first meeting yet.    
First step undertaken in September

I also serviced the 158.1802 that I took in last week.  http://mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com/2013/11/it-doesnt-power-on.html.  I really must take a photo of the machine.  It is lovely.  I have never seen a more perfect smocking stitch ever.  What a privilege to work on such a nice machine.  If I wasn't trying to get organized I would be on the look out for one.

Do you believe that I am not?  HAH !

10 comments:

  1. Hmm...maybe it because I had the grand kids all weekend, but thus photo would make a great I Spy photo in a book. You could list all the things to find and we could be happy hunters. Glad to see forward progress. Better than what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Procrastinators club. I should be secretary. I'm reading blog posts instead of getting started on a project that is long overdue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well that is your shop work area, not Better Homes and G. Maybe not for everyone but not everyone is restoring and saving vintage machines from the trash truck either. If I had the mechanical ability of a gnat I'd have a shop area for restoring some of them as well. As it is I will keep trying to not bring any more home just to collect since I'll soon need another building for them Who am I kidding I bought a pink atlas last week that is getting a service.Told dh he'd have to forgive me I had a weak moment and it is a portable. I learned to sew on my mother's pink atlas so got nostalgic for a minute on that one. I think you are doing a great thing working on the machines and I enjoy seeing your latest machine project though I do get weak thinking about this or that model I'd like to wag home to be with the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pink Atlas is a portable? Don't they weigh a ton? Sort of as much as a Morse? I do love the look of a Pink Atlas, I must admit.

      Delete
  4. It looks very homey and nice actually. Yes, all those clean-as-a-whistle model homes you see in magazines are very nice... I have a friend who has a place like that (she's borderline OCD), it *looks* great, but it's generally not a very comfortable way to live (no magazines or books allowed except for a few show pieces, all cups have to have saucers so there's no damp rings on the table, no glasses except wine glasses - again for show cos she doesn't drink, the list goes on). Your place is a space where you can *do* things, doing things can get messy, I prefer slightly messy than a perfect place that won't allow me to develop and grow as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great work space to me! Looks a great deal like mine, in fact. And to answer your question above, yep, the pink Atlas weighs a ton.
    Cheryl Warren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned how to keep my sewing room neat. Don't sew.
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - exactly! Which is not very helpful if you're trying to learn! I much prefer the lovely workspace and all the work-in-progress than a pristine environment!! Face it E - I think there is a growing consensus that your space is pretty terrific just the way it is!

      Delete
  7. Is the machine in the top photo on the left on the top rack a Singer Fashion Mate? It looks like it from the eensy bit I can see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The atlas does weigh a ton. I think it is heavier than any of the other vintage ones here. My back is not going to want it to be portable so I guess it is back to the featherweight if I ever take one someplace to sew. That is not likely as I hardly sew at home these days. Lol ! I know someone whose house is perfect-guess where no one ever wants to go and she is lonely. Keep doing the machines-far more interesting than fluff.

    ReplyDelete