Monday, May 6, 2013

SHOP TIME MEANS HAPPY TIME

As a reward for mowing I allowed myself some time in the shop. I am happiest when I am there.  True, it was a gorgeous day.  I walked the dogs, mowed some of the upper field and neglected the garden.  I looked at it and decided that it was too much.  So I made myself happy and went to the shop.

  First I worked on the 404A.  It is ready to go. 
I like this machine. True it is only a straight stitcher but the motor is quiet and the machine is fast.  It is lighter than the 201 and doesn't do really heavy heavy stuff the way the 201 can, but it is a lovely machine.  Anyone who wants to learn how to sew could easily manage this machine.  Plus, it has a manual.  In pristine condition.


I also worked on the cone bearings.  Not budging. 

I finally decided that a few DAYS in the ATFAcetone bath would be the best thing.

Then I finished up the 391W.  Truthfully I had been putting off this project because I was concerned that I had to do more with the timing.  Not so.  Nice stitches but stiff on the zag.  More oil and heat.  I also moved the needle bar back and forth manually about a gazillion times.  I tried to mount the hand crank but the motor mount on this machine is too high to accept it.  Too bad.  I used the spoked wheel any way for more ballast.

BEFORE
AFTER



12 comments:

  1. Nice cleanup. Are those a gajillion oil ports on the bed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I love 404's!!! Your 391W cleaned up beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. This 404 is very nice. I think I will play with it this weekend.

      Delete
  3. WOW! The 319W looks beautiful!!!
    I am super sensitive to chemicals, do you have any suggestions on how to clean a machine without using them?
    Which do you like better, the 301 or 404a? I have never used a 404 but I love love love my 301. Since I have been following your blog (only a few months now) I am on vintage singer #4 (I have a 301, 2-237's and a 503a). My dad just picked up another 301 for me for $25, he is giving me my grandma's 15-91, and he may even part with the 221 he bought at an estate sale! My mom even gave me her toy singer. I am hooked. My boyfriend...not so hooked. Threatening to build walls in our unfinished basement to contain my sewing area. He doesn't know about the three new additions yet. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would only suggest trial and erro. Try something and if you don't react and it works, great. Clearly the petrochemicals are noxious. Sewing machine oil, while a petrochemical, is pretty benign, in most cases. I have used castile soap on the body.
      I think finishing the unfinished basement for you is a terrific idea. Let him do it!

      Delete
  4. Pray tell: How did you work such magic on the exterior?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lighting. The before photo was taken in the house at night. The after photo in the shop in the day time. Most of the grime wiped away easily with GoJo hand cleaner.

      Delete
  5. lol. It's magic - pure and simple. And with E's special brand of magic, the machines can't help but respond. Just ask Buddy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in my auto repair days the only way to get rusty bolts that look that bad apart was to get heavy handed with the heat! Take your torch and heat the nut directly until it starts to turn red, you will notice that the bolt will be insulated (relatively speaking) from the nut and not be red at all. Quickly grab the nut with the pliers and turn the screw. Hope it works, Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UPDATE...The cone bearing nut is loose. Check out http://mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com/2013/05/red-hot.html. Thanks Tom, for the idea.

      Delete
  7. My question, too! What exterior voodoo did you use??? I've looked for the Gojo without abrasive and no luck yet. My 301A looks like it 'played in the same barn' as your 391W! It looks like someone's Coke exploded on it's backside about twenty years ago, too. Nasty. :/

    ReplyDelete