Monday, May 27, 2013

Back on the Bench


I always like to make a project when I finish a refurbish.  Today I took this 201 up to the sewing loft and made a tote bag for its foot controller and cord.  The machine sewed very nicely.  I was pleased as could be. I thought I heard that noise again.  The screeching noise but it was not as loud, not as growly.   Then, I set about making Wonder Wallet.  The aforementioned noise returned (see previous post).  I thought it was a gear.  Nope.  I tried to run the machine a full tilt, but it seemed to get better only to return.  Since the noise was random and not improving with time, I had to give up sewing for the day and return the machine to the bench.

My theory about the armature was wrong, clearly, since the motor continues to make the noise.  I suppose it could be that the grease wicks are not yet greasy enough to lube the shaft of the armature.  It really sounds like a bad bearing or a too tight belt.  Since I cannot find a bearing  or a belt anywhere on this motor, I have to start over.  I pulled the motor AGAIN and found that the worm does seem a bit tight in one spot on rotation.

Until the next time, I will keep you updated. 

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your persistance, patience and unwillingness to "throw in the towel" on your projects. You are a wonderful example of "learning from mistakes" and have a "questioning curiosity" that is stimulating and informative to all your followers. You are my HEROINE. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete