Friday, May 31, 2013

Even if I do say so myself

I now work part time at my day job.  I have every Friday afternoon off.  Which means that I usually get home by two o'clock, if I am lucky.  Today I was lucky.  I was out in the shop by 2:30 and at 3:00 I started in on the 15-91's motor.  I decided that I would just jump in and get it done. After an hour I had removed the brushes, grease wicks, worm and armature; cleaned the commutator and cleaned all the grease out of the body of the motor and grease tubes.  It took another thirty minutes to prep the motor leads for re-wiring and solder new ones on.  I did not tie an underwriter's knot.  I did not cut the old leads back far enough to allow for room to tie the knot.  I did, however, replace the grommet and crimp and solder new "U" connectors.  The whole thing took about two hours.

I usually use round connectors or make rings myself at the end of the motor leads.  Today I used the "U" connectors because I have about one hundred of them.  When I tried them out on Mr. TPT (three pin terminal) they didn't fit so well.  So I crimped them.  I thought that was a clever idea, if I do say so myself.  I like how the leads look with the heat shrink color coordinated. 
The light needed re-wiring too.  That wasn't so hard but I discovered that the bake lite switch was broken.  I guess I will just have to leave the light on all the time.  I don't see how I can fix that.


  1. Wow, this is fantastic, I love the fact you just know how to replace the grommet and crimp and solder new "U" connectors, and the rewiring... all these life skills that we aren't taught at school!! Thanks for this well-written and interesting blog (again!)

  2. the only way I can think of to fix the light is to put one of those little "roller" switches in the line. then you could "roll" the switch off or on. you sometimes see them on a Christmas light you plug in, etc. Just a thought

    1. You must have sent me that idea psychically! I thought of it too.