Saturday, March 3, 2012
As I recall, I bought this machine last year and then passed it along to Betsy for what I paid for it. It had a terrible thread nest and I felt rather badly that I had not checked to see if the thing went all the way around. Still, she managed to get the thread nest out but it would not stitch without breaking the thread. I took it back from her and vowed to work on it and get it stitching. Today seemed like as good a day as any.
I got out the tri-flow and the hair dryer and managed to get it freed up. I spent hours cleaning and tri-flowing and blow drying the sucker. It was so gummed up the presser foot bar would "glide" down rather than fall into place. When I finally decided to try to stitch with it, I could not. The bottom tension is just too tight, even though the thread pulls freely from the bobbin case. I decided that it has to be the hook. It probably is just so gooey and gummed up. I tried to take the hook off, I couldn't but I did manage to muck up the timing quite nicely in my endeavors. Finally at 10:00 PM I was able to get it so the needle and hook did not hit each other. Tomorrow, if I don't put it away I will try to re-time and see if I can get it stitching.
I don't really like these machines. They all clatter when stitching. The 206 X 13 needle is not as readily available and more expensive. BUT this machine can be converted to a treadle. So if you want a zig zag to treadle, this is the machine . Perhaps, if I can get it stitching I will try it out in the treadle base and see how that works.