|CENTENNIAL ABOUT 1951|
I have four 201s and I really wanted to get another one stitching today. This one, being the one with the best wiring, seemed like the best candidate. I took the motor off the machine and serviced it first. It was not in terrible shape and the wires were fine. I decided against replacing the motor leads after I inspected them. Less work.
I thought that I would replace the brushes as long as I had the motor opened but when I compared the new brushes to the old, I saw absolutely no advantage to doing so.
I then cleaned the presser bar and needle bar
The bobbin case was loose. I could see that the finger of the bobbin case was not secure in the position bracket. I tried to afix the bobbin case but instead the bobbin case ring and bobbin case just came out. I thought I was missing the spring, but consultation with another 201 in stock proved that it was there. It was just very loose.
I decided to look over the other two 201s that I have and see which one looks the best and switch over the motor to it. Neither looked better than the other so I took the one with the less bad motor, thinking I would switch motors back once I had the other one re-wired and had a new position bracket.
So I set to installing the motor. I really wanted to hear what it sounded like. In retrospect, I wish I had just set to cleaning the machine. Mucking around with the motor on the machine was cumbersome.
But it sounded very sweet and strong, though I could hear some protesting somewhere. So I set to looking around
All the gears were dry dry dry. So dry there was no evidence of flung off grease in the gear caps
Then I took a look around front. CRAP.
No adjustments necessary. This machine sailed right through denim, again and again and again. I got up to 8 layers, just by folding it over and over. It would not do 16 layers. Nope. But 12, yes it did.
|AE313680 ABOUT 1936|