I started out the day quite organized and methodical. I checked out the motor. After I removed it from the machine.
The motor pulley has a flat and I have no idea if I will be able to find a replacement for this 57 year old machine.I did not realize that the plug came off when I removed the motor from the machine. As I inspected it I discovered that it did.
Which made it a whole lot easier to inspect the wiring. The light really needs re-wiring and I think it will be quite straight forward.
There are three wires that connect the knee controller to the three pin connector plug. I don't know why but I guess I can figure this out.
I plan to buy an extension cord and cut off the female end and wire it to the terminals in the knee controller. That way I will have a molded plug and will only have to wire one end. I guess I will split some of my 18-2 AWG wire for the third wire in the connector. Just so long as I keep straight which is which. It would be helpful to have color coded wire but I don't. It is a long connection; I could find some wire jacketing I guess. Or simply use electrical tape. The truth is, I doubt I will sell this machine. I think it is a keeper.
The tension on these machines is A WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT from the Singers and other Kenmores that I know. VERY DIFFERENT. It sits on the side of the machine and the tension adjustment is on the face of the machine
I am so glad that I took this photo of the tension assembly as I took it apart....
Because when it was time to reassemble it, I knew how to put the check spring back in. Maybe I could have escaped without cleaning the tension assembly. From the looks of that disc, though, it was a good thing that I did.
Now it is all clean and stained. The rust on the chrome sanded off, but the discoloration remains. Its a 57 year old machine. I have age spots too.
Next, inside the face plate and the hook.