This machine was horrible, as you can see. Picture two I took after I cleaned it with Kerosene. What a headache and I am sure my liver is pissed.
I left the machine next to the wood stove in the shop for a few days. Yesterday after I finished with the 306 I needed some satisfying, mindless work. Plus I really want to get this machine stitching because I have a free motion project I want to finish.
I tried to avoid taking the presser bar mechanism apart. But I just had to. I could not get it clean enough without removing it. So I set to that task. I loosened the set screw. Here you can see how the gunk "flaked" away from the screw as I loosened it.
I also took the tension assembly apart and cleaned and dried all of those parts. It is so much better now. I still have to clean the outside around the tension assembly, though. The tension stud was stuck pretty well in there. I managed to wiggle it out. Again, rinsing with alcohol and turning this back and forth. AFTER I loosened the set screw, of course.
This saga will continue. The machine is a mess.