It was unlocked. My fate was sealed.
The electrical problems plaguing this machine have been haunting me. I did solve one of the problems. I bought a new cord and the machine ran well, the light worked appropriately, but the motor smoked. That was worry number one.
I took a good look at the electrical on the underside of the machine. It looked complicated and threatening. I wondered how I would get at it.
I took another look under the machine. This time I located the motor leads and where they connect to the electrical terminal. I labeled the top one. You can't see it but I wrote TOP on that yellow tape. I need to be very explicit when I am venturing into new territory.
I then loosened the screws holding the motor leads in place and released the motor leads.
The brushes and commutator were easily accessible.
The brushes were saturated with oil.
I soaked them in denatured alcohol for a while and then burned the oil off using a lighter. When there was no more flame, I declared them done.
All clean and shiny
There were only three screws that held it in place . I did have to remove the lamp connection, but that was easy peasy. I don't have a photo for that .
Problem number 2: the power cord that came with the machine is wired incorrectly. When I use it the light comes on but dims when I apply the foot controller and the motor doesn't run at all. If I switch the cord around in the wall plug, the machine runs slowly and the light dims and the light doesn't turn off. There is no change in power from min to max. Something is wacko. The machine runs fine with the after market replacement cord but the insulation on the wires prevents a good fit. The cord will wear out in no time.
In fact, in an effort to figure out how the cord should be wired, I took apart the new cord and discovered that it was already wearing out. In my effort to understand the wiring, it broke.
|A and B are actually two different wires. I point this out because they look like the same wire in this photo.|
The next few hours were spent in a futile effort to get the power cord re-wired. Oh how I wish I had checked the Necchi group first, as I had planned. Finally, I did . There I found clear instructions with a photo and in less than thirty minutes I had the sucker re-wired. The motor doesn't smoke, the machine runs in Min or Max and the light doesn't dim when I apply the foot controller. In other words. I FIXED IT!!