Sunday, October 12, 2014

MORE NECCHI TALES: Hand Wheel

Once I  determined that the SuperNova's power plant is healthy, I decided to give the mechanical a look see.  It really is pretty clean.  This is a pleasant surprise.

I removed the hand wheel, following the directions I downloaded from, yup, you guessed it, the Necchi Yahoo group.

First I loosened the belt, but that you already knew about since I did it in a previous post.  Then  I removed the clutch knob from the hand wheel.

I removed one screw, but found that you don't have to remove the screws at all.  Just loosen them.  That way they won't drop to the floor, or worse, get lost.

Turn the knob left loosey and unscrew it all the way off.

The stop washer is integral to this piece.  See how the stop washer fits into a notch in the shaft?
This slipped right off along with a couple of washers.
The hand wheel itself slipped off next.  I have never seen a wick inside a hand wheel.  Ever.

Upon Andrea's advice, I removed the wick,
The oil wick channel wasn't awful, but it was dirty.

I soaked the wick in alcohol to clean it up. (This was not an original idea.  Andrea told me to do it). Once every thing was clean I reassembled the hand wheel.  Thank goodness I took photos, so that I could figure out where the washers went.

Note the position of the bobbin winder.  This is significant.  The belt is a generic, lug, belt.  While it is the correct diameter, the belt is too wide.  It rides above the belt channel in the hand wheel and interferes with the functioning of the bobbin winder.  I can't wind a bobbin.  Bummer. 
I think I will wander on over to Ed Lamoureux's blog  http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/ and ask him about the belt. 


8 comments:

  1. I am always blown away by the machining on these vintage machines. Some of the pieces look like modern sculpture. Great photos, so clear and abundant details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I just wanted to say I found your blog a few weeks back and have been enjoying your work on the machines. (Someone pointed me here when they saw one of my vintage machines on my blog. I suppose they could tell I needed help, lol.) I'm a complete novice with them myself, but I'm learning a bit here and there. Thank you for sharing your care and repair of the machines you work on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome engineering on the Necchis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much oil did you put on the wick before reassembly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for this was having a heck of a time getting my handwheel off and the images helped a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I still can't remove my hand wheel. The stop washer is off but the wheel won't slip off. Is there some trick I am not doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be stuck with dried oil. I recommend applying triflow and some heat via a hair dryer.

      Delete