I have one goal with these machines. Get them functional. I did not spend hours cleaning. I removed as much of the old finish as I thought necessary. The denatured alcohol dissolves the old finish allowing me to then sand the wood to achieve a smoother finish without gunking up the sand paper. I did have to reglue some veneer on this stand as well. Once the tops were sanded, I applied stain and today, the first coat of poly urethane. I don't much care about the stains in the wood I guess it can add to the "charm" The old patina is gone. Sorry, purists. I wanted to be able to use these machines and actually sew without snagging the fabric.
I will clean up the draws and the frames. I won't need to go to this extent with them. I just hope that I can find room to display these gems. I love the smallish irons. No big SINGER logo. Just a simple design.