I spent the morning servicing this 66-18. The motor needs work. I futzed with it for long enough to realize that I should put it away for another day. I rewired its foot controller and mounted a different motor. I removed the feed dogs and placed it on the carriage. Now I have to set it up to sew. Because I bought a big spool of machine quilting thread, I may have to rig up something for it. For now, I have had enough of this project.
OK. I really couldn't stay away. I tried to baste the layers together and had an awful time with the tension. I finally had to take the stupid machine off of the frame and take it to the shop. I adjusted the bobbin tension and tested the stitch by FMQing with a small sandwich. I finally got a decent stitch. I had to loosen the bobbin tension quite a bit. I truly thought about taking the tiny little screw all the way out but did not. Still, I had to tighten the top down quite a bit. The problem with old fashioned tension dials, no numbers. I know, I know, the numbers are arbitrary but the top tension sure does seem tight.
I also had to rig up a stand for my cone of thread. I stuck a stick in a piece of styrofoam and cut a grove the size of the bottom of the spool so it would stay stable. It fits at the end of the carriage. Then I had to make a new thread path. A couple of paper clips (Numbers 1 and 2 in the photo below) and I was in business. I used the persuader to bend the top thread guide against the machine. (Number 3 in photo below). I think I will have to close that off completely, though. The thread did jump out and when that happens the top thread just gets too loose. I should have bought smaller spools. Just didn't think about it.
Now that it is all set up I am ready to do some FMQ. I would love to be able to do some real designs but I think I will just stick with the meandering. I seem to get good results with that.