Friday, May 15, 2015

SO FAST

I really can't use the treadle right now.  My right hand is encased in a huge bulky dressing.  I have limited use of my fingers.  In planning for this surgery, I thought that I would use the 301 if I could sew at all. 

The Necchi Super Nova, though, was all set up. I have a high shank, quarter inch foot for it and so......

I do understand the irony of the water mark.  As soon as I am able I will go back to the 201-1 but for now I am loving this machine  It makes a very consist, straight stitch.  I like the three different needle positions.  It is not quiet but I can live with that.  It is very, very fast.

Of course I don't need speed for piecing.  I don't need speed for much of anything that I sew.  Just the same sometimes it is just plain fun to go very, very, very fast

I had a quilt to bind. I could have serged the edges because it is a dog quilt.  I used the Necchi instead.  Honestly, this machine is as fast as the Singer Industrial over at Betsy's.   If I had two working hands I would have taken a video. 

Before my surgery I had cut scraps into 2.5 inch squares.  I wasn't all that accurate with the cutting.  It shows in the final product.  I didn't pay attention to color comnbo much either.  The idea is to sew these small pieces together at the end or beginning of your chain stitching when working on another quilt.  Eventually you have many of these pieces sewn together and can piece them into a quilt too.  I had never used leaders and enders before but I decided to when I was piecing the arrowhead quilt.  Since I can't really trim up that quilt yet, I went to my little squares and just sewed away to keep from getting more cranky. 


5 comments:

  1. Nice squares! Beautiful machine, I have never seen one. I use leader Enders all the time. I try to sew a light to a dark in pairs, and then sew them together. The Fading Charms on my blog is all leader and Enders- kid prints. Hope you are healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this same machine and I completely love it...

      Delete
  2. She's not quiet motor noises, or machine noises? 'Cause if it's machine noises, the more you use her, and the more you Tri-flow her, the more quiet she will get.
    Can you detail the setup for the large spool with another photo please. And what is that do-dad magnetized to the front?
    I envy you, the cabinet. Waterslide decals of the ruler are hard to come by in anything attractive (though you can have them custom printed). But the finish of both the machine and cabinet look well intact. I think an SN from the early 1960s does more than my Pfaff from the 1990s (though admittedly, not twin needle stitching and I did not buy a machine with the computer-based embroidery module available at the time.)
    Necchis are twin needle capable, but the design produced runs 90* from that of most machines.

    Please take it slow with your wrist. If you are that bored, come visit me and I'll remind you why you love living where you do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surgery!?!? Even though planned, still not fun. Unless a bit of short term pain means no pain in future (like DH's shoulder surgery 18 months ago). Nope, still not fun. Hope you heal fast!

    I like this quilt, I may gather my courage and just chop a huge amount of my stash into strips and squares and have at it. I seem to like so many quilts I see, that none are carried out.

    I finally got the Tri-flow onto Mom's Necchi - the only noise she makes now is the buzz as I start sewing. I do know I need a long-fine-tipped oiler though - some places were NOT easy to reach with the Tri-flow bottle! At least I think I got all oiled - I couldn't really tell where the manual was pointing to on some spots, so I did the "if it moves - oil it" method. It is really odd sewing with no seam-line guides on the plate though.

    ReplyDelete