Four years is a long time in a sewing machine's world. All sorts of things can happen during that time: congealing oil, condensation, temperature change, rust. Even brand new machines can get gunked up and can need servicing.
I was concerned about the Bailey since I had not used it in that long. True one winter I kept a little heated hut over it (http://mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.com/2012/01/room-of-its-own.html). But this past winter I moved it from the sewing loft to the apartment. I don't think the temperature swings were as extreme in the apartment as they were in the loft. I probably should have put the little igloo back over it. I didn't
Given what I know about machines, I truly wanted to check out the Bailey before I started sewing with it again. Yesterday, Betsy and I tore into it.
I wish it were easier to access the tension. To do so you have to remove the whole front panel; ok it's only two screws. I will quit complaining.
I prefer face on tension assemblies. I don't like the "lie in" ones. We found a piece of thread stuck in there.
It was not hard to remove. Had it been a face on tension assembly, one would have seen it straight away when it became lodged. I have used face on tension assembly machines in this application before and they worked just fine. But this is what it is.
I sure would like to know what he used as the starting point for this "bastardization."
The hand wheel and belt look adequate. I think that the hand wheel is plastic. In 25 years likely it will need replacing.
By 3:30 we had it all back together and set up on the frame.
Admittedly, the first row of stitches SUCKED POND WATER. I had forgotten to tighten the tension. We managed to complete one row of stitches, break a needle and give up for the day. But the goal was accomplished. The Bailey was serviced.