Monday, January 17, 2022

One Block Wonder

 Note: I just looked back two posts and found a post about OBWs Two and Three. Two years ago. Sigh. 


I thought I might try to resurrect this blog. Let's see what happens. I am still nuts about sewing machines, though my SMAD has been in remission for a while. I did relapse this summer a bit.  

I had to be in B'town and Milton isn't that far, really, just up 89 a bit and head west. Can't go too far, because Lake Champlain is in the way. I found the place, another slice of Vermont heaven, and the kind woman was selling the machine for her neighbor. The ad claimed it was a 237, which I knew was wrong.  It is a lovely Singer 191J. Is it more closely related to the 15K110 or the 15-91? Probably the 15-91. The 191K is closely related to the 15K110. I could compare the underbellies. Maybe I will. 

 I love it this machine. It is similar in shape to the 319, yes? 

I have a one-in, one-out rule, now. I re-homed a Kenmore to the kids in the Mid-west. I know it's all the same pot, but at least, well, ok, shucks. You can see that I have used it. That's a hexagon under the needle for my fourth One Block Wonder, that went off the the PNW last October. This photo is the best I have. Kaffe Fassett collection: Rose and hydrangea. 
Absolutely lovely fabric. 

Original fabric here:
 
If you don't know what a One Block Wonder is, Lady Google will help you. I do, however, recommend that you read one of Maxine Rosenthal's books. It's her idea and she will walk you through the process step by step. I bet the library has it. I admit, I did buy my book on Amazon, before I was enlightened. 

Anyway, I am on my sixth OBW now. I just finished five last week.

Thank you, I do think it is stunning, too. The border makes all the difference.

I hated that green blob. I seriously considered deconstructing the quilt and rearranging hexagons. Then I auditioned the navy and black fabric for a border and that was that. 


  
Now, as I await the backing fabric for OBW Five, I am well into OBW Six. It took too long for me to finish Four and Five; months and months. It is time for some self discipline and time away from Twitter Doom Scrolling. If you follow Maxine Rosenthal's instructions, which you don't have to, but if you do, you will get about 108 hexagons from your 4 plus yards of fabric. Of course, a bigger quilt (that queen plus I made for the DGD in the PNW) requires more yardage and more hexagons.  I may make a large one again, but now, I am content with the smaller, not quite twin sized quilts. I started Number Six on Saturday and have over half of the hexagons sewn. Yep, that's right, my goal was to sew 18 hexagons a day and I have met my goal. 




 This process is different from piecing a quilt with a specific pattern, like a log cabin or HST or Nine patch. Each hexagon is made from a stack of identical equilateral triangles. Those triangles can be arranged in any of three different ways. That means as you start to piece your hexagon, you must audition the triangles for the most pleasing arrangement. 

I look for movement in the block. This one is a bit chaotic to me. 
 This one is better. 
This one is the best. 


 Remember, though, that there will be a 1/4 inch seam allowance between each triangle. It is hard to imagine how much of the center design you lose because of that pesky seam allowance. I take a generous quarter inch to make the final construction easier. AMHIK.


See what I mean?  All of that lovely green in the center is gone and replaced by a blue blob. It still moves, but not as elegantly. The red along the edges will likely disappear, as well, leaving maybe a whisper of red in each corner. Maybe. 

I sewed this hexagon together to show how much is lost in the seam allowance. When making this quilt, the hexagons don't go together like this. They go together in strips. Then the strips get sewn to each other. 

Depending how tomorrow goes, I may describe the process for you in another post. 

Until then, don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Wear a mask, get vaccinated and stay well. 









5 comments:

  1. Glad you are back. I recently resurrected my blog as well after a nearly two year hiatus. Must be something in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're, made my day! Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great sewing machine find! And Wow again for the OBW quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a quilter, but a ceramic artist. I love how you posted the photos of what to do and what not to do, showing a distinct difference. And, the photo of the first quilt, which is your most recent One Block Wonder: stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you are blogging again. I have your blog bookmarked, partly to have a list of the blogs you follow (which I like), and partly to see what is going on with older sewing machines. :-) Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete