Saturday, January 22, 2022

Leaking Iron

My Delonghi iron leaks. It's been leaking a while so I was using it dry. I now need steam. These OBW open seams require severe taming and steam is the way to go. I also bought a taylor's clapper to see if that will help.  I haven't tried it out yet. 

I got tired of sewing and decided to take a look at the iron.  I borrowed a Torx 15 from Steven and took off the back of the iron. 



No wonder it leaked. 


I think it broke when I took it apart. Clearly it was fractured before that. The inside wasn't all wet, so I can't imagine water had been spewing all over in there.

I don't know what this is made of but it stuck like glue to the male end in the iron. I scraped it off bit by bit. You can see the pieces in the background of the photo above. And yes, those are dental instruments you see. My hygienist gave those to me when she upgraded her set. Handy things to have around when fixing irons and sewing machines. 

It's all clean now. I looked online for the part. I found it for five bucks with 10 dollars shipping. So for fifteen bucks I can order the part. Or I can go to the local hardware store and see if they have something that will work. 

I love this iron for pressing long seams open. It has the perfectly pointed nose. 

I can glide that iron right down the long seam after I sew the strips together and just like the Red Sea, that fabric parts effortlessly. 

I'm pretty psyched. Tonight Mom actually answered the phone when I called. I told her that I was fixing my iron. 
"Why don't you buy a new one?"
Me: Because I want to fix this one. 
Mom: It would be easier to just buy a new one.
Me: Yes, but this one cost over 200 dollars. I thought you would be proud of how resourceful and clever I am!
Mom: Well, I did raise you to be independent and resourceful, so , suit yourself. But that's what money is for, after all. 

So, despite my aversion to spending more on shipping than for the actual part, I likely will order the tube on line and see if I can get another ten years out of this ironing system. 







6 comments:

  1. My Panasonic cordless just totally fell apart. I picked up the handle and all the plastic crumbled. Rats. I never put water in it, used it dry, but just loved the cordless feature and the two pointed ends. I have a EuroPro iron with ceramic soleplate that I use for steam- like backings, stubborn seams, etc. It cost a fortune, but it does an awesome job. It has a boiler that heats the water in it. I ordered a new Panasonic cordless today, so until then, I have to steal my husband's iron that he uses for shirts. Hated to spend the money on the new one as it worked, but was disintegrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricky Tims says that all irons become incontinent over time if you put water in them. I don't but use a fine mist spray bottle if steam is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a lot A LOT of hemming for a choir that elected to go with poly ponte (formerly known as poly doubleknit) dresses and the only way to get the old hem creases out and the new hem creases IN is a lot of steam and a board. I have the fancy tailor press and the piece of plywood covered in muslin and some other wooden objects and they make it all possible. Trapping that steam in there won't melt the fabric but will get a sharp crease. Or take one out. Is miracle.
    I'm someone else's mom. I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of summers ago, I was bird sitting for a friend, & had all the sewing spread out, including her iron & board. The house cleaner came & knocked the iron off the board. But I was responsible, so I bought her a new one, & brought the broken one home to fix for myself! So I'm right there with you
    If your fix doesn't work, may I suggest a little spray bottle with a fine mist spray- you'll get steam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always interested in fixing as an approach to life, so good to see you're at it and doing it so well. (Elizabeth and persistent rhyme, I think?)
    My experience with irons doesn't include such an expensive one, but back in my (more) obsessive quilting days, I kept buying irons and trying more expensive ones. They always lost steam, or just died, and I hated the ticking timer that turns them off. (BTW, as a teenager who had to iron, I once started a fire walking away from a hot iron for 1-2 minutes, so I approve of the safety system.)
    I finally bought a vintage iron for $2 and went with a spray bottle for wetting fabric. This iron still goes 8 years later, and gets just as hot as I want. I never even tried to put water in it. I use a switched extension cord, as I do for my old machines, and just turn off the switch when pausing.
    I do hope you get your iron back to original condition.
    AND, it's great to find your blog is back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you can get it fixed. These manufacturers have a lot to answer for, it's built in obsolescence!

    Don't think aboout the money think what you're doing to save the planet!

    I've been doing my bit by not buying a new sewing machine & just replacing little bits of my vintage Singer 338 & a little Frister & Rossman Cub 4 I saved from the bin a while back. I feel good every time I use them.
    Have to admit I would like a machine with an electronic foot pedal to control the speed better for free motion quilting & a needle up down option but I'm not going there! I can think of better things to do with a couple of thousand quid!

    ReplyDelete