Friday, November 20, 2015

THE CAST

I dunno.  I thought that maybe I would have energy to quilt last weekend.  It is usually so therapeutic.  Instead I went through the photos on my computer, cleaning out thousands of sewing machine photos and  grouping the dog photos into three albums.  Sunday I took Frannie for a ride in the car.  She loves that.  Wrigley hates the car.  He stood at the window.  I know that dogs don't think the way human do.  I couldn't help anthropomorphizing:  I wanted to reassure him that I would bring her back to him.

Indeed I did.  He was happy to see us.  It was also dinner time when we returned.  He was happy to eat.

On Wednesday I finally got down to the business of stitching out the corners of the quilt.   I made some registration marks and went to it.
I did fairly well with the large feather in the middle.  But when I started quilting the one on the left, my brain farted.  Instead of quilting the feather with the bump back method, I started with the hook method creating a most bizarre looking feather.  I did better on the right side.  The pebbles are ok, I imagine I will get better with time. 

It is quite tedious, as you can imagine.  All those pebbles, over and over again.  White on white is hard to see and I never attained a decent rhythm.

I took a break.  The dogs and I walked up to the top of the hill.  We hadn't been able to do that in weeks.  We took Wilson's bell along and I jingled it all the way.  Frannie found some deer poop to eat and Wrigley joined right in.  Dogs.

When we got back, I had intended to only stitch out the feathers on the other side but went right into the pebble stitching. The middle feather is smaller.  I don't like that.  Sucks to be me.  I am not picking out thousands of tiny stitches.  I prefer to use Non stitch regulation when I am Free Motion Quilting (FMQ).  I have an easier time with the tension. But sometimes the stitches are quite tiny.

I will need to make these feathers upside down on the next two corners.  I have been imagining that in my minds eye.  Believe me I will practice on the white board first.  It doesn't have to be perfect but it shouldn't look like shit, either.

I must now decide how I will quilt the center.  
 The borders surrounding the Celtic applique require no more than stitch in the ditch.  AKKKK!  Diagonal SID.  Poor me.  I would like the Celtic knot to stand out but I do not want to do more pebbles.  Echoing may be the way to go. 

5 comments:

  1. I think you should compare your earlier efforts at quilting the difference is amazing. I vote for the ecohing for the middle of the quilt, that is if I get a vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your progress. I got a used pro in August. It is really hard work and really hard not to judge myself or compare to others. I tell my friends if comes off the frame the same size as it was when Ioaded it, I'm happy. They don't understand why I'm not asking to quilt for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I post my work because I love sharing what I am learning. It is hard work and we deserve to show it off. I judge. I compare. But I don't quit. I think we need to be kind to each other.

      Delete
  3. When that top is completely quilted it is going to be astounding. All of the bits you notice as being out of whack now will be part of the design! Echo quilting for the medallion sounds marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with the corner work. I don't think I could do upside down or right side up for that matter and do good to topstitch by a seam, Lol! The echoing on the center would be great but I am sure whatever you pick will be also. You are really getting skilled with the long arm work very fast. I should quit reading here. It is deluding me into thinking I have room for a set up and could/would learn to do this. Lol!

    ReplyDelete