Saturday, October 3, 2015

AND SO IT BEGINS....

No killing frost yet, but today it was raw and cold.  I doubt that it reached 50 F.  I sewed.  It was too cold to bike.  Yesterday, though it wasn't much warmer, S. and I practiced using the Granny gear.  We went up a steep hill as far as we could get.  We were warm by the time we were at the top.  Because we didn't want to have to climb back up the other side of this hill, we turned around and rode back down from whence we had climbed.  Warm going up, chilly going down, though the wind was behind us. Tomorrow promises mid 50s but not until noon.  Good.  Time for me to sew in the morning.

Mom wants a quilt for her twin bed.  I pondered patterns this morning.  I considered a disappearing nine patch, an arrowhead patch, a double Irish Chain, a log cabin.  None of them particularly appealed to me. 

I looked through some books.  I found a lovely quilt.(The watermark is mine)
 in this book.
I considered piecing a medallion for the center square but found an orphan square from a celtic block quilt I made almost fifteen years ago.

I plan to follow the design but might not do the ribbon border.  It looks a bit tedious, though I like the look.  There is no pattern in the book.  I am sorting it out as I go along. 



4 comments:

  1. I'm almost positive I've seen that quilt before, in a book by Harriet Hargrave (sp?) on machine quilting from back in the 80's or early 90's. It is a beauty! Pre internet, and I gathered a fine little library of quilting and sewing books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here for the sewing machines and the watermarks, I don't need a quilt but the cover of that book; I could happily chase that design down the rabbit hole for a winter. Maybe they could be leaves of different shapes, or tea cups, or...you get the idea. That would be fun.

    ReplyDelete