Fridays at the Quilt Zoo you can go and sew on any project that you would like. Nina and Bonnie help if you need it. It really is quite a bit of fun. I was FINALLY able to get there this past Friday.
"Oh good." Said Nina. "Did you get a call about a sewing machine?'
"No." said I wondering if I should check the cell phone for messages (Turns out Betsy got the call and forgot to tell me)
Any way. Someone dropped off a machine.
"She really wants to start sewing again." declared Nina
So I hauled the thing home.
Saturday morning I lit a fire in the shop, in the loft and kept the one in the house going. Winter is hard when you heat with wood. By noon it was 60 F in the shop and I I was able to get to work on the machine.
I was unimpressed.
OK. Big loops on the bottom mean that the top tension is too loose. I looked. She had it set all the way up. It could also mean that the bobbin tension was too tight.
First things first. Clean the machine. Now that I have more experience with machines, I get caught up in the process. When I was less experienced, I would take photo after photo to keep track of what I had taken apart. Now I just go for it. Hence, less blog fodder.
I regret that I didn't take more photos. There is a camstack in the top but it is operated by the electronic function. Incidentally, the machine had thick, hardened grease in the most incongruous places.
Since it didn't seem to be affecting the function and I was actually working for money, not love, I did not chip this stuff away. The renowned and inveterate Ray White would have declared that this was "cosmetic only."
I tackled the shuttle and bobbin area first. The needle plate popped right off.
The bobbin case came out pretty easily too. I remember from previous
Singers of this vintage, that there is a tab that must be moved back to
release the bobbin case.
The slide plate did not come off easily and it perplexed me. Luckily I have some service manuals for Singers of this era. While I did not have one for this machine, I found instructions for slide plate removal for a similar model.
There is a spring that is released with pressure from a small screwdriver just under the slide plate.
I turned over the machine and found it.
I did take off the top and the face plate. I don't have photos of that. There wasn't much to see. I oiled what I could and checked the BW tire and elected to not delve into the hand wheel. It has one of those odd clutch release mechanisms; you just push on one side of the center of the hand wheel and it releases the motor from the drive shaft, or what ever in an electronic machine. Since all was working just fine, I closed up the top and headed south.
I thought I saw one. Uh Oh. Nope. Only a piece of thread.
I removed the base and discovered this. Those wires travel up to the
top and connect somehow with the camstack. I have no interest in
I did inspect the motor and found that the commutator was filthy so I cleaned it up with one of my Ray White abrasive sticks. I need more. I had no interest in removing the motor. I could see both brushes well enough to determine that they were adequate.
I oiled all the points where metal met metal and closed her back up.
When I tested the machine, it sewed quite nicely. I tested almost all of the stitches and they all worked. I did not test the button hole function. I set the tension at 3 and all was good.
I called the owner. She was surprised it was ready so quickly.
I advised her that I wasn't sure the machine was up to the purpose she intends. She wants to make bags. If the bags aren't too heavy, she will be fine. That motor looks wimpy to me. It sounds wimpy and overall I am not a fan.
If fixing this machine gets someone sewing again, excellent. After all, the more people who sew, the better the world will be.
At this rate, I only have 95 more machines to fix before I have enough cash for the Nolting. Don't forget. I sold the Bailey, one Featherweight and a Viking. It is a good thing I have a day job because the Nolting arrives on Friday.
We are ready.
Wilson is ready too.
I guess all that turkey and all those clicks worked. I will send that blanket with him to have while he is at the vet. It smells like home (especially Wrigley who has Poodle hair but Lab smell).