It was a beautiful morning.
By the time we took this walk, I had finished the new zipper leaders for the quilt frame. I wanted to replace the pink leaders with woven, cotton, ticking. The stripes, I hope will provide a nice straight line to which I can baste the quilt edge. It doesn't matter for this muslin practice piece. I'll know if it was worth it when I have a real quilt to install. The scrappy quilt went on pretty straight. The other two were wonky.
Betsy came over yesterday. Oh it was a miserable day. It was cold and rainy. We needed chill chasers in the house,
The most intimidating part about pulling a hook on these machines is matching the gears up when you put it back together. The service manual recommends scoring the gears first. So we did. We used a sharp pick and just scratched one tooth on the bevel gear we were removing and its corresponding groove.
We had some difficulty getting the bevel gear off. It was pretty stuck. Lots of oil, heat and PB Blaster and a bit of persuasion with a screwdriver and the persuader and we managed to get the bevel gear off. The hook was pretty stuck, too, but it didn't take as much effort to finally get it out. I am glad that we made the effort. The position finger was filthy and I never would have managed to get that clean.
Once the parts were cleaned we put the hook back together. We lined the scratch marks up just fine and tightened everything down. There was, alas, a catch when we turned the hand wheel. Betsy thought it was coming from the needle bar area. I thought that it had to be coming from the gears. There seemed to be a wobble in the hook when it made a full revolution. So we looked at the gears again and noticed that the screw (S1) was not lined up with the flat (F1). A quick adjustment of that and all was well.