I am not so sure why the Nolting intimidates me. I spent much of the weekend getting it all set up with the Arrowhead quilt.
I thought about just developing an edge to edge design. I think that is harder that quilting the individual spaces (in this case blocks). My inspiration was a quilt I saw this spring on the 1893victorianfarmhouse blog: here. It, too, is an arrowhead quilt and I just love it.
I spent a little time just looking at the quilt once it was installed on the frame. The more I looked at it the more I liked the idea of a meandering design (Sorry Linda) in the border.
This afternoon I set to it.
When I used the Bailey, I pinned side leaders to my quilt. I hate pinning.
I tried chain stitching extra fabric to the back of the last practice quilt, but I found that quite unsatisfactory. This time, I made the back about ten inches larger than the top. Still that wasn't enough. I fashioned some side leaders from an old sheet and some dowel scraps. I used the small Red Snapper pieces to fasten the leaders to the sides and it works pretty well. Plus it was free. I priced side leaders on line. They aren't terribly expensive, really. I can afford them. BUT, I am practicing for retirement and, hence, have adopted an austerity budget. Double thinking every purchase. (Except a new bike helmet.)
I have a tendency to flatten out the "fronds"
So I am at it again with this quilt paying closer attention to rounding out the "fronds" or whatever we should call it.
Practice Practice Practice.