I thought that I could divide the square up into quadrants and quilt a feather in each one. I got out the white board and practiced over and over again.
I decided to stitch a three inch border on each block. Oh boy, ruler work practice!
I tried a variation on a scrap moving the bottom to the outside edge so they all wouldn't meet in the middle. Not happy. But it was fun playing. I totally messed up the fourth one and just decided to work the machine over the pattern and played with some inside echoing. I had fun. Looks like hell, but I had fun.
Lisa had come by to get some parts for her 128 VS and after we finished in the shop, I showed off the Nolting. I made her try it out. She has a good eye/hand coordination. It took me months to be able to stipple the way she does. ( her example is in the border)
I set up some more practice pieces ( an old sheet and a very thin, flannel blanket. Oh did THAT affect the tension. Yes it did ) and came up with this:
Lisa had suggested that I continue the cross hatching in the borders. That's more ruler work. I don't have a long ruler so I experimented with curved lines. I like them a lot. I will merely draw a line on the fabric and not bother to stitch it when I actually create this design on the quilt.
There are only two large squares in the quilt. There are some setting triangles. So figuring out that design is next. Oh, yeah, and how to do the blocks themselves. Probably ruler work