I started quilting this May 18. I worked on it quite frequently, almost every day. I think that I had quilted about half of it when I had to put it away Memorial Day weekend. We needed the guest apartment. I just moved the whole kit-n-kaboodle up against one wall in the apartment. That Wednesday, when I moved the frame back into the middle of the apartment, I discovered that it was about a half a bubble off. YUP. Out of level. I spent some time leveling it. Well worth the effort. The machine rode much more smoothly on the frame and I was much more comfortable quilting. I practiced some feathers (I have a long way to go) some spirals (not my favorite) and some flowers.
Molly's quilt top is pieced. I only have the outer borders to attach before I can declare that finished and put it on the frame.
A disappearing 9 patch goes together quickly There is a fair amount of cutting, but if you strip piece the blocks, it isn't too bad. I tend to get confused by the time I get to the actual block construction. I had to rip out a couple of blocks, even after I had sewn them all together in the row. Steven suggested that I leave it. I just couldn't.
As you can see, there are many seams in this quilt. When I pieced the long strips together, I pressed the seams to one side. When I pieced the nine patch, likewise. When I pieced the cut blocks together I pressed some seams open. I tried pressing all the seams to one side on one square. I just didn't like the look. My pressing problem? I don't know which is proper and considered correct in the quilting world.
I did NOT pre-wash the fabric. This might be considered sacrilegious in quilting circles. I don't care. I used to prewash and then press all of my fabric. What a PITA. I did pre-wash the backing fabric. I used some of it for the inner border. When this is all pieced, I will washt he quilt top and press it before I put it on the frame. I have used some "Best Press" spray throughout the construction of this quilt. I like how it smells and I like the little bit of stiffness it gives the fabric. (Home made spray starch made from Water and Vodka would do the same, and be much cheaper) I think it helps with accurate piecing and cutting. But it has to come out or else it will create problems on the frame.
All of this sewing has kept me from machines. Once I finish the two D9Ps I will get back to machines. It will be hotter then and the loft won't be as comfortable as the shop. By then, I am sure I will pretty tired of quilting and sewing. For a while.