Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Another Apron

I had so much fun making the apron for Joann on Thursday that I started another for my daughter-in-law.  I used the same pattern (an apron I had) but this time I lined it .  I made a bias tube so that I could make a binding all the way around .  But I was having stitch problems and had to give up before it was finished.  This was my Sewing on Sundays project at Betsy's.
I chose burlap because that was the best green I had.  I think that my big problem is that the edge of the apron is of uneven thickness.  It is very thick at the edge where the two fabrics come together and the binding is sewn on, but where the binding is to be sewn on the front, it isn't as thick. The foot is riding on an uneven path, so to speak.  I just had the brilliant idea, just now, to try using the zipper foot.  I will try that tomorrow.

Betsy made a wallet.  She used the one I had made a few weeks ago as a prototype but modified hers by using bias tape around the whole thing before she sewed it up.  She also has those lovely fancy labels. 
I want to make more of these.  They are quick and easy and adorable.  I was at a crafts fair in Somerville on Saturday with Max, Anna and Steven.  We saw some hand made bags, wristlets and aprons.  I cannot imagine what it must be like to sew "production" for a fair.  What a lot of work.

Now for the not so good news.  I can remove the splint from the left hand occasionally now.  Sort of like weaning.... The fracture is not completely healed so I cannot be totally released from the splint.  The thing about fractures is that if they don't hurt, they are healing.  I am not yet ready to go back to work, so that means that I really cannot wrench on machines.  If I sew without the splint on, I must stop if it hurts.  

That means that I won't be doing much blogging about fixing machines, unless I can do it with the splint on.  Now there's a thought.  I will get a big old sock and cover the splint and see if I can work on a machine, or two.  That might cheer me up a bit.  My left thumb is a bit stiff,  it needs some exercise.



No comments:

Post a Comment